About St. Kliment Ohridski University of Sofia
Clement (Kliment) of Ohrid, a prolific writer and the most prominent disciple of Cyril and Methodius, came to Bulgaria in 886. In 893, he was ordained as a bishop during the reign of Tsar Simeon. In only 7 years, he gave education to over 3,500 students, including future teachers and priests, at what later became known as the Ohrid Literary School. He died in 916 and was buried in Ohrid. He was canonised in the 10th century and his patron’s day is now celebrated on 25th November.
St. Kliment Ohridski University of Sofia is the first Bulgarian higher education institution. In 1880 the Bulgarian Ministry of Education proposed a draft of the Main Educational Act for the Schools in the Principality of Bulgaria in the National Assembly to “open a Bulgarian high school (a University) that will teach law, arts, natural sciences, medical sciences, and technological sciences.” In 1887, T. Ivanchev, minister of education, issued an Ordinance Act to open a Pedagogy Class affiliated with the First Male Gymnasium in Sofia. Classes began on 1st of October, 1888. On 8th of Dec., 1888, the National Assembly passed an act transforming the latter into a higher education institution. Alexander Teodorov-Balan was elected as its first Rector. In 1889, the Department of physics and mathematics was opened, followed by the Faculty of Law in 1892. Between 1918 and 1923 four new faculties opened their doors to students: the Faculty of Medicine, the Faculty of Agronomy and Forestry, the Faculty of Theology, and The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine. In 1938 Sofia University had 7 faculties, 72 institutes, clinics, seminars, a substantial library fund, and its own scientific journal.
Since 1902 the day of the patron saint of the University, St. Kliment Ohridski, has been officially observed on Nov 25th . Over the years Sofia University has become one of the most advanced centers of science on the Balkans, a full-fledged research university of the European type. Today St. Kliment Ohridski University of Sofia is the biggest and most prestigious scientific hub in the country. More than 107 BA and MA programs are offered by its 16 faculties: the Faculty of Slavonic Philology, the Faculty of Classical and Modern Philology, the Faculty of History, the Faculty of Philosophy, the Faculty of Law, the Faculty of Journalism and Mass Communication, the Faculty of Education, the Faculty of Preschool and Primary School Education, the Faculty of Geology and Geography, the Faculty of Physics, the Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics, the Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacy, the Faculty of Biology, the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, the Faculty of Theology, the Faculty of Medicine, the Department of Information and Training of Teachers, the Department for Language Teaching, and the Department of Sports.
In addition, the structure of St. Kliment Ohridski University of Sofia includes the following independent units: the University Library, the University Press with a printing house, a University Center for Information and Communication Technologies, a Science Research Sector, and the University Botanic Gardens. It also houses several centers: the Professor Ivan Duychev Center of Byzantine Studies; the Center for Educational Services; the Center for Eastern Languages and Cutures; the Center for Korean Studies; a Career Center; a Cultural Center; a EURAXESS center for the Mobility of Scholars; a Cisco Net Academy at Sofia University; a Research Center of Patristic and Byzantine Spiritual Heritage; a Confucius Institute; the Oxford Test of English Center; The University Center for Religious Research; the French-German Center for Applied Research in Economics and Management; the Center for Online Education; the University Center for the Management of Quality; the Center for Information Society Technology; the Center for Economic Policy and Scientific Research; the High Technology Business Center; the Center of Economics and Politics of China; Rehabilitational Centers; and the Polar Research Center. In addition, students and faculty are involved in the Alma Mater radio and TV stations as well as the laboratory theater @lma @lter, the Sofia University Museum; the Museum of Paleontology and Historical Geology and the Museum of Mineralogy, Petrology, and Ores and Minerals.
The main building of St. KLiment Ohridski University of Sofia was built with the financial support of two donors: the brothers Evlogiy Georgiev and Hristo Georgiev, and it is one of the architectural landmarks of the city of Sofia. Today its premises cover an area of 36 000 sq. m., with 324 rooms, 65 of them being lecture theaters with 6 000 seats.
The official address of St. Kliment Ohridski University of Sofia is: 15, Tsar Osvoboditel Blvd., Sofia 1504; Tel. (02) 9308 200.
For more information visit the website: https://www.uni-sofia.bg/index.php/eng